When I was a kid, I absolutely detested split pea soup. The thought of it made my stomach turn. But, once I discovered it could be cooked properly and be good, I started liking it. As such, I decided to make some for tonight.
What you will need/Shopping List:
- Dried plit peas
- Parsley (fresh preferably – but dried is ok).
- Fresh Tomato
- Fresh Onion
- Soft Goat Cheese
To make it:
Get a medium size pot and add two (2) cups of split peas. Add water to four times the level of the peas in the pot. Put the pot on the stove and turn it on 4 (medium). It will take about 60 – 120 minutes to cook. Stir the peas about every 15 minutes. The peas should absorb the water and begin to become mushy. When the peas are at the stage, you can move on to the next steps.
Cut up about 2/3 cup of fresh onion diced. Sauté this in a skillet with some olive oil till some of the pieces start to show light brown.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Add 1 fresh tomato (about 2/3 to 1 cup) diced.
- Add the onions you prepared.
- Cover and let it cook on low or 2 for about 1o minutes.
- Add 2/3 cup of soft goat cheese. You can use a spreadable one as well.
- Add 1/4 cup of freshly chopped parsley. If you are using dried, use about 1 tablespoon.
- Cover and let it cook on low or 2 for about 5 minutes.
I like to serve it with some sprigs of fresh parsley on top.